This post will explain the steps required to successfully install Synology Disk Station Manager (DSM 4.3 – 3827) on a Virtual Machine (VM) inside ESXi VMware 5.1.
Step 1. Download the XPEnology 4.3 archive and extract the files. The archive contains both the modified DSM pat file and the .vmdk virtual disk
Step 2. Upload the .vmdk file to a datastore on your ESXi host
Step 3. Create a new custom VM, and give the VM a name like ‘SynoVM’
Step 4. Select the datastore you want to install the new VM onto
Step 5. Select Virtual Machine Version 8 and choose Linux 2.6.x (64 bit) as the guest operating system
Step 6. Configure the VM as follows:
- 1 virtual socket, 2 cores
- 2GB RAM
- 1 NIC, VM Network, VMXNET3, enable ‘connect at power on’
- VMware Paravirtual SCSI controller
- Use an existing virtual disk, select the .vmdk file you uploaded in step 2
- Virtual device node set to IDE (0:0)
Step 7. Select “Edit the virtual machine settings before completion” and continue
Step 8. Add at least one data disk which will be used to create the volume(s) on DSM
- Click ‘Add’
- Select ‘Hard Disk’
- Click ‘Create a new virtual disk’
- Select the size for the disk, ensure it’s a Thick Provisioned Lazy Zeroed drive (for best performance).
- Set Virtual Device Node to SCSI (0:0)
- Repeat for additional disks
- Select Finish when done
Step 9. Power On the VM, and open Synology Assistant (which you can download here)
Step 10. From Synology Assistant select the new Disk Station (DS3612xs) and click ‘Connect’. The set-up page will open in your browser.
Step 11. Select the right facing arrow (next button) and then select the modified DSM .pat file you extracted in step 1.
Step 12. Press the right facing arrow again (next button) and continue to follow the on screen set-up instructions, entering your username & password and network settings.
Once the installation is complete the Disk Station (VM) will reboot and ask you to login using the account details you just entered.
That’s it, your Virtual Disk Station is ready to use.