The following tutorial describes in simple steps the process to setup a secure VPN connection from your OpenElec (Kodi) Media Centre PC using the ‘VPN for OpenElec’ and ‘OpenVPN’ addons. If you don’t know how to add a new repository and install new addon’s please refer to this post for guidance before attempting the steps below.
- Add metalkettle’s repository from http://kodi.metalkettle.co
- Install ‘OpenVPN’ from the Unofficial OpenElec repository. There are no configuration options required/available for this addon.
- Install ‘VPN for OpenElec’
- Select Setup VPN
- Select your VPN provider from the list (Supports PIA, VyprVPN, IPVanish)
- Enter your VPN Username and Password when prompted (You need a PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS username/password, which can be generated from the VPN providers website, under the client control panel)
- Go back to the previous menu and select Configure VPN
- Select a local server to connect to, and wait for the connection to be established. (If you want to access geostricted content, e.g BBC iPlayer, select a different VPN location, otherwise select the nearest for improved performance)
- Go back to the previous menu and select Check My IP
That’s it. You should now see a new IP address, one you don’t recognise, followed by the words ‘…actually we havent a clue’. You can verify connection to the chosen VPN by navigating back to the Configure VPN screen, which should show the words ‘Connected’ next to the chosen server. You can check which IP address you have been assigned from your ISP by visiting this site from another PC connected to your local network, but not connected to a VPN.